Kyoto (Page 2)

Toyokuni Shrine, Kyoto

360° VR panorama in the grounds of Toyokuni Shrine (豊国神社), in Kyoto, Japan. A large concrete Torii (鳥居) gate is placed over the entrance to the shrine grounds. A series of orange lanterns line the sides of the path up to the karamon (唐門) gate at the shrine entrance. It is thought that the gate may have been moved here from Fushimi Castle.

Toyokuni Jinja is dedicated to Toyotomi Hideyoshi (豊臣 秀吉), who unified Japan under his rule. It was originally built in 1599, but then closed in June 1615 by Tokugawa Ieyasu, Toyotomi’s rival who rose to power after his death. In April 1868 Emperor Meiji ordered that the shrine be restored.

Sanjusangen-do Temple, Kyoto

360° VR panorama in the Rengeō-in temple complex in Kyoto, Japan. The long hall to the west is Sanjūsangen-dō (三十三間堂), measuring a length of 120 metres long. The hall’s name literally means ‘Hall with thirty-three spaces between columns’.

Sanjūsangen-dō is registered as a National Treasure of Japan, and contains 1001 wooden statues of the Buddhist deity Sahasrabhuja-arya-avalokiteśvara (Thousand Armed Kannon).

The temple was originally constructed in 1164 by Taira no Kiyomori. The current building of Sanjūsangen-dō dates from 1266 after the original was destroyed in a fire. It has undergone four great renovations since the reconstruction.

Higashi Hongan-ji Temple, Kyoto

Posted Under: 360° Panorama, Asia, Japan, Kansai region, Kyoto, Kyoto Prefecture

360° VR panorama of the Higashi Hongan-ji (東本願寺) temple complex in the Shimogyo-ku ward of Kyoto, Japan. The temple was founded in 1602 as part of a plan by the Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu to split the Shin Buddhist sect in two and reduce its influence. Higashi Honganji became the head temple of the Otani-ha branch, while the nearby Nishi Honganji temple became the headquarters of the Hongan-ji branch.

None of the original temple buildings of Higashi Hongan-ji survive, in 1864 a large fire destroyed all buildings and the treasures they contained. The majority of the temple structures today date from between 1879 to 1911. The main hall, Goei-do is the largest wooden structure in Kyoto, and the second largest in Japan.